CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Peas Please!

Deer Pellets
City girls probably don't know what this is, but if you're a gardener, you'll recognize the calling card of one of my garden's most voracious intruders: the whitetail deer. I found this little pile of scat about 10 feet away from my flower garden this week. Every night when I take Brody out for his evening constitutional, deer scatter from my back yard. I know several really good recipes for venison.
Old Greenhouse Skeleton
Two years ago we attempted to build a greenhouse according to plans we got off the Internet. Winds from the first good thunderstorm in the spring carried the plastic skin away, leaving the PVC ribs. We noticed that the deer didn't venture into the enclosure, so last year we put up some webbed fencing to keep out the peacocks and our tomato-loving lab, Sophie, and planted herbs, tomatoes, tomatillos, and bell peppers inside. This spring, I'm going to plant some early spring, cool-temp-loving vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, and peas. I'm not going to plant shell peas because the frozen are good quality and cheap enough to buy in the store, but I will plant sugarsnaps and snow peas. What we don't consume fresh, I'll freeze. They are both expensive and sometimes hard to find in the stores.

Have you discovered the Homegrown/Homemade series of gardening videos yet? I think they're a really useful resource if you're just beginning to garden, and will even give experienced gardeners some new ideas. Follow that link and it'll take you directly to the series all about planting, harvesting, and cooking peas. Hopefully, I'll have my own peas to show you in a few weeks.

With love from me to you,
GG

No comments: