CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 2, 2012

Giving Deer the Boot

An old farmer out in the dessert of New Mexico gave me his secret for keeping the critters out of his garden and hen house and, for the past three years, it's worked for me: old boots nailed to the fence posts. This one has weathered to an artistic silver dustiness and probably has no aroma left, but I think I'll leave it where it is and just add a new one to the post. One of my friends just brought me a bag full of her husband's old work and hunting boots, so I've a good supply. I think I'll plant some tiny, trailing succulents in some of the old boots this year.


Other ideas that I've heard for keeping deer out of the garden are to scatter hair around the perimeter or have a man pee on all the posts. I think the birds would love the former and, if you live in the country, the latter is just a matter of pointing out targets to your husband.

Half the interest of a garden is the constant exercise of the imagination. 
~Mrs. C.W. Earle, 
Pot-Pourri from a Surrey Garden, 1897 

Happy Deer-Thwarting!
~GG

No comments: